CENTURY INDIA

A blog about Indian culture and ethics for the modern world

Monday, November 27, 2006

HOME AND AWAY

From my new home in Britain, I inadvertently called a call centre in Bangalore. The recipient at the other end recognised my culture from my name and voluntarily gave me a discount. Then we got talking, and I explained what I do to promote the culture here and how I go about it. He reacted - I am glad I gave the discount! He agreed that India needs to keep its identity and not get swept away by the tide of materialism. Money is flooding and so is its ancient culture getting flooded by the values of western materialism. I explained that progress should not be measured by money alone, but by quality of life, health, society, etc. He found my thoughts surprising, but refreshing. When we go away from home, we can also go back home. Unless we get lost along the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home